Thursday, December 11, 2008

Baby Learns New Trick

I was going to clean out the playpen this morning, like normal. I fight the puppies for their food pan, and yes it's a fight. They like to sit on it as I try to get my fingers under the edge, so I can pick it up. This is a morning ritual, and one that they relish.

Next comes herding the puppies into their crate....not usually too hard...sprinkle some kibble in the crate and off they go (for you future owners of Winjammin' puppies, beware that we are training "crack dogs" If you've met Ransom, you'll understand the nickname. For those of you who haven't, the short version is, food to him is like "crack" to an addict). Some days we get one lagger and today that was Cristal.

So, she got to help me clean out the pen, pick up toys and pads, etc. Our kitchen is gated off from the rest of the house, so the puppies don't get out and the big dogs don't get in. We have to have some way to control the chaos, ya know! Anyway, I hadn't latched the gate, just pulled it to the latch, and that's where it stays. I'm in the process of rounding up the toys, and half watching Cristal out of the corner of my eye, when I see her run to the gate, sit back on her rear, and take one paw and give the gate a big SHOVE. Yup, you guessed it...escape!!!

She was off and running for all she was worth through the living room, with her littermates calling their encouragement from the crate the whole time. Round and round the dining table she went, then it was to the living room, back around the table three times, back to the kitchen, just to tease me, then back to the living room and a big jump onto the doggie pillow pile, etc. You get the picture, I hope. It took me a good 5-10 minutes to catch the little bugger.

I brought her back into the kitchen and this time, LATCHED the gate, and proceeded to finish the cleanup. She chased the broom some, another of her favorite games, but then she was right back at the gate, and banging on it, trying to get out. Once cleanup was done, she was back in her pen with her littermates, and peace, or as peaceful as we get, finally decended back on the house.

Thank goodness the big dogs were downstairs!!!

5 comments:

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Spew Alert please! The thought of you running around chasing that puppy is still making me giggle. heheehehehehehe

Anonymous said...

I understood the "crack puppy" comment. I have one of those too. PJ stands for "porky joe". Actually it stands for Pat Jensen, Marian named him after her but at our house it stands for Porky Joe.

Too funny about the escaping. Bad Baby!

coopercreek said...

Haha. Baby's day out adventure.. She probably went back to her pen saying NaNaNaNA.

Winjammin' said...

Jinnie,
Ransom is known in our area as Chunky Monkey because he learned how to crate dive for food when the girls were in season and not eating. He went to his first show (not showing) a few pounds overweight and a Pem breeder friend of ours started calling him that and it just stuck. He still comes to that, and probably always will. hehe

Laura and Kim,
Yes, she was VERY pleased with herself and just sat pretty as you please when she was put back into the pen. The look as soooo, "I knew what I was doing, why didn't you??"

betty said...

how cute!!! seems like all corgis are food driven, LOL; mine will do about anything for it

must be so cute to have babies around of them; never a dull moment

betty