Monday, December 29, 2008

Bear Has A New Job

First of all, we hope that everyone had a Safe and Happy Holiday and got everything they asked for. We had a great weekend, all the more so because it was nice to stay home and spend it with all the kids. Port also set out for his forever home yesterday with his new mom, Christy Collins. She will teach him the ins and outs of being a show dog and he'll teach her new ways to terrorize Tibbies and Cresteds, I'm sure! Good luck with the little man Christy!

Now we come to the topic of today's post. Bear seems to have taken it upon himself to be the house guard dog, while he is outside. Yes, we have other guard dogs...namely Duchess, Phantom and Ruby. But Bear has taken this to a whole other level. He sees another dog, he barks. He sees another person, he barks. He sees another squirrel, he barks. He sees another LEAF, he barks. Now let me illustrate just how this barking sounds. It's not just abark, bark, bark, like most dogs. It's more of the ALERT!!! THAT LEAF IS A MUTANT AND IS GOING TO DESTROY THE HOUSE!!! I'LL HOLD IT OFF WHILE YOU RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! You get the idea. It's lovely at 630am on a wekend holiday morning...NOT. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate it...NOT.

Now, I wrote earlier about his big boy bark and it's still there, except now it's getting deeper as he's growing up. He actually has a lower voice than Phantom and I think his volume control has been eaten by Ransom. He used to have one, I swear he did. He used to have this little girly shrill bark that wasn't too loud. Not anymore. He sounds like a combination of mom Marg and his half-brother Russ....through a megaphone, onto a PA system, into an empty arena!!!

Anywhoo, I digress. Bear feels as if the whole world will end if he isn't the first one to confront a guest or any walker who happens to walk past. If we're out at Petsmart or anything like that, he "protects" mom and dad as if his life depends on it....well, until you wave a cookie in front of his face, then all bets are off. Some protection he is. I see Ransom has had some influence on him again...

This coming weekend at the dog show in St. Paul, MN ought to be a real joy. I can see us trying to walk him to the rings while he yells at everyone and everydog to keep out of his way, because he's so big and bad (not), us trying to wave a cookie in his face to keep him quiet, Ransom trying to steal said cookie because as he will readily tell you...he hasn't eaten in at least an hour, and last but not least, Emmy prancing serenely is if the world should bow down to her and kiss her feet. Yes, this will be the routine for all 3 days of show, as the Cardis and Pems have the same ringtimes. Oh fun!

Now if we can just get Bear to realize that the other dog in his ring is his littermate, who he liked...

Cindy, I see your Merlot issue and raise you Bear.... ;o)

6 comments:

betty said...

my gosh; you are describing Koda except for the show part; I can only conclude that Koda must have time traveled to your neck of the woods and taught Bear everything Koda knew; I feel for you but I totally understand; good luck this weekend!

betty

Joy said...

I thought I heard something over here in West Des Moines, it must have been Bear.

Sherilyn said...

LOL It must have been...keeping the neighborhood safe from all evils! ;)

Joy said...

Trekker loves to bark at the moon about 9 each evening. He'll just stand in the middle of the yard looking skyward and bark. Otherwise, it's just a quick warning bark so I'm glad to know I'm safe with Bear.

PS I've got the 17th on the planner. I have to come cheer you on.

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh, for once, I got the good kid in the litter!!! Yippeeeee!!!! Good ol'Frankie, humm, it's gotta be the color and I am liking it more and more each day.

And no thank you on the raise to a Bear, I think I found Merlot's mute button-it's called a Red Boy sitting on her head ;0) Now if I can just figure out how to unplug the shredded part.

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

OMG! Russ through a megaphone. Yikes it hurts my ears just thinking about it.